An International Workshop on Strengthening and Widening Markets
and Overcoming Supply Side Constraints for African Agriculture
June 3-5, 2007
Taj Pamodzi Hotel
Agriculture accounts for more than 30 percent of GDP, 65 percent of foreign exchange earnings, and provides a livelihood for about 80 percent of the labor force in eastern and southern Africa. The sector is widely recognized as critical for promoting food security, economic growth, and poverty alleviation on the continent. Recognizing this, the International Food & Agricultural Trade Policy Council (IPC), in partnership with the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), the Zambian Ministry of Agriculture, and the US-based Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa (PCHPA) hosted an international seminar on June 3-5, 2007 focusing on strengthening and widening markets, and overcoming supply-side constraints for African agriculture.
The seminar convened farm policy and private sector leaders, trade experts, academics, and the donor community to address improving the competitiveness of African agricultural markets, and the continent's ability to engage in local, regional, and global markets. For more information, please view the seminar program, press release, and presentations below.
Conference Materials and Information
- Dyborn Chibonga, NASFAM:
"Linking Farmers to Markets: Prospects and Challenges Learned from NASFAM"
- Steve Collins, East Africa Grain Council:
"Increasing Food Security and Economic
Development within Regional Trade Blocks: Example of the Eastern Africa Grain Council"
- Baba Dioum, Conference of Ministers of Agriculture of West and Central Africa:
"How will CAADP implement its mandate to improve infrastructure and trade related capacities for market access (Pillar II)"
- Ian Goggin,
"Developmental Challenges of Commodity Exchanges in Africa"
- Jones Govereh, Michigan State University:
"Regional Trade in Food Staples: Using Trade Policy to Improve Farmer Incentives and Food Security"
- Amanda Hilligas, Southern Africa Global Competitiveness Hub:
"What Does it Take to Implement AGOA in the Field: Experiences and Challenges from the Southern Africa Trade Hub"
- Thomas Hobgood, USAID:
"Linking Producers to Markets: A Renewed Commitment to Agriculture Value Chain Development"
- Julie Howard Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa:
"Taking AGOA to the Next Level:
What are the Strategic Opportunities for Africa?"
- Paul Jourdan,
"Building Analytical Capacity For Regional Development:"The NEPAD Spatial Development Programme"(SDP)"
- Hans Joehr, Nestle:
"Overcoming Supply Side Constraints: A private enterprise perspective"
- Sir John Kaputin, Secretary-General of the ACP Group of States:
"International Workshop on Strengthening and Widening Markets and Overcoming Supply Side Constraints for African Agriculture--Remarks"
- Philip Kiriro, President Eastern Africa Farmers Federation:
"Strengthening and widening markets and
Overcoming Supply side Constraints for African Agriculture "
- Andrew Makenete,
"The Potential of Biofuels for Africa"
- Chebet Maikut, Eastern Africa Farmers Federation:
"Overcoming Farm Level Constraints: An African Farm Leader Perspective"
- Kinyua M'Mbijjewe, Monsanto:
"Overcoming farm level constraints"
- Richard Mkandawire, NEPAD Agriculture Programme Midrand South Africa:
"The Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP): Window for the Restoration of Market Opportunities for African Agriculture"
- Raul Montemayor, IPC:
"Communicating Farmers Priorities in Trade Negotiations: A Philippine Experience"
- Richard Morgan, Unilever:
"Three Stages of Corporate Social Responsibility"
- Kalaluka. Munyinda,
Stockholm Environment Institute:
"Potential for Bioethanol Production in Zambia"
- Erastus Mwencha, Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa:
"Strengthening COMESA'S Role in Facilitating Regional Agricultural Trade"
- Marcelo Regúnaga,
Regunaga y Asociados:
"Experiences of Regional Integration in Latin America"
- David Rohrbach, World Bank:
"World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development"
- Amit Roy, International Center for Soil Fertility and Agricultural Development:
"Improving Access to Fertilizers "
- Oliver Saasa, Premier Consult Limited:
"Africa's Trade and Investment Opportunities with other developing countries: Enhancing South-South Cooperation"
- Jeff Stein, Karma Organics:
"Leveraging consumer demand for organic goods to build sustainable agricultural economies in Africa"
- Joshua Setipa, Counsellor, Office of the Director General, WTO:
"Aid for Trade: Why, What, and How?"
- Michael R. Taylor, Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty In Africa
"Investing in Physical Infrastructure:
Who Sets the Priorities?"
- Moses Tekere, COMESA
"Progress & Status of ESA-EC EPA Negotiations"
- Dorothy Tembo, Zambian Trade Ministry:
"Opportunities in Multilateral Negotiations for African Countries"
- Robert Thompson, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign:
"Overcoming Supply Side Constraints:Making the Agricultural Sector a Priority"
- Ajay Vashee, Southern Confederation of African Farmers Unions:
"Workshop on Strengthening & Widening Markets & Overcoming Supply Side Constraints for African Agriculture"
- Songowayo Zyambo, Zambia National Farmers' Union:
"Domestic and Regional Policies: Private Sector Perspective"